Who are we and what do we stand for?
1. Our story
Launched in 2013 by Moulaye and Kadry as a side project to help a friend’s mother, they understood quickly that there was room for opportunity for distribution through the web for African culture.
With an outsourced MVP, they saw the first orders coming and they decided to dedicate themselves full time to this growing project. With the coming of Luc, in 2016 they focused on Tech and Product and then launched Afrikrea, the marketplace, and Boom… a growth of 8% per week doubling our revenue every quarter and multiplying our revenue 10 times every year!
After several fundraisings, a move to Abidjan, the coming of the first team members, and a strong partnership with DHL, Afrikrea became the number 1 African eCommerce exporter.
Since starting, we enabled over 50m$ of transactions in175 countries!
2. The transition to Anka
In 2020, rich in these years of experience in direct contact with sellers and as entrepreneurs serving entrepreneurs, we understood that the challenges of the sellers were deeper than those solved by the marketplace, Afrikrea. The sellers faced specific African issues such as the lack of visibility globally, the difficulty of shipping products worldwide from Africa, and the complexity of payments between international and local ways. To resolve these needs that exceed the perimeter of a simple marketplace, they decided to create Anka.
Anka, powered by Afrikrea, is the all-in-one solution for sellers of products « Made of Africa » (fashion, art, food, or beauty…) to sell from anywhere, ship worldwide, get paid faster on international or local African payment methods, and easily manage their businesses. Our new vision is clear: Export Africa by building the future of selling globally!
In January 2023, we raised 15 million euros from top-tier investors (including the co-founder of Alibaba) and it’s the reason why we are looking for the right people to help us achieve this vision. Lately, we completed that round with a $5m extension from leading DFIs like the IFC and Proparco, setting us up for even higher raises and levels in the coming years !
Few KPIs about Anka
1. General KPIs
- 20 000+ sellers in 46 African countries and 100 in total
- 50+ million dollars of transactions in 175 countries
- Each month 1 200 000+ visits;
- Each week 7 000+ new products;
- Each day 1 200+ messages exchanged ;
- A team of 40+ members in 13 countries, passionate about this vision, diverse, experienced, working in full remote (since day 1), and very cool!
2. Specific KPI for the VP of Finance
- Accuracy of forecasts and treasury gaps
- Timely and complete follow-up of investors requests and fundraising
- Accuracy of our financial & accounting reporting
- Growing corporate controls and the team
- Follow-up of our impact across the world in job creation and gender balance
What are we looking for?
1. Context of the team and vision of the role
Under the responsibility of Guillaume, our CFO, you’ll be the 1st member of this team. In regular contact with Accounting & Compliance Teams and our different banks, your role will be to improve our financial & accounting system, recruit a team and report to the founding team.
This job is to involve in responsibilities and over time is a fast-track to become the CFO of the company !
2. Your challenges (if you accept them…)
Your general missions:
- Build an internal strong financial team
- Build strong financial & tax procedures
- Improve our business plan modeling and treasury management
- Improve our investor reporting
- Provide foresight and guidance to the HR team to deliver upon its goals in the areas of employee engagement, recruiting, benefits, etc.
Your first 6 months goals:
- Review our forecasting model and treasury processes
- Start recruiting high calibre talents with interest in Anka and the African ecosystem
- Migrate internally our accounting, fisal and consolidation processes to fit best practices identified
- Review our procedures (inc. Investor and Impact reporting) and proactively propose and/or adapt them
What you will need to succeed
1. Skills & qualifications
- You have 7- 10 years of work experience acquired ideally in top African firms and/ or fast growth startups in different African countries.
- Ability to understand complex business drivers, produce high-quality analytics, develop insights and communicate clearly to a different audience (business leaders to executives).
- You have a perfect command of managing and understanding the accounting & tax structures of different African countries in order to migrate our accounting system internally.
- You have successfully built, hired and managed an African team and/or a remote team based in other parts of the globe.
- You have already defined and implemented business plan modeling / financial analysis in a previous experience.
- Experience in analyzing, evaluating and making recommendations on strategic decisions.
- Ideally, you have some experience in startups, fundraising or investor relations ;
- Ideally, you have successful track record in evaluating business and/or major capital initiatives that have had a high impact on a high growth company.
- Strong executive leadership skills with experience partnering at the board, investor and executive management levels.
- Have experience leading an HR function and the desire to build and improve, driving towards best in class hiring, turnover, and employee engagement metrics.
- Have the desire and ability to build a high functioning Accounting, Finance, and HR team, including systems, processes, and analytics.
- Ability to wear different hats and bring a holistic perspective to the role.
- You’re fluent in English and French.
- A master’s degree in finance management with a specialty in Business Analysis
Soft skills (Mandatory)
- You have an analytic and detailed oriented mindset.
- You reflect the rigor and the precision, especially in the figures.
- You can analyze situations and provide efficient and fast solutions.
- You’re reactive and resistant to stress.
- You can proactively improve existing processes.
- You’re fully transparent even in case of discrepancy.
- You have a real interest in the African ecosystem.
- Bonus: Experience working in a fast paced-environment.
What we have to offer
1. A competitive salary alongside with a Ivorian Long-Term contract or consultancy contract
2. An international health insurance for you and your family
3. Significant Employee Stock option plan
4. 30 days paid holidays per year
5. Our culture “Teamwork, Determination, Accountability, Curiosity”
- Teamwork - Alone you go fast, together we go far, empathy is key.
- Determination - Keep trying until you deliver.
- Accountability - Say it, own it, do it!
- Cujriosity - Sharpen your skills.
6. Our work-from home policy ( 100% remote since Day 1)
You have the freedom and flexibility to work from everywhere which implies asynchronous and structured communication (thanks to Basecamp) but also flexibility, autonomy, and discipline.
7. The possibility of growing quickly within the organisation, as this is a new role and you can build and set the foundation from the ground. There are plenty of opportunities for you to grow in different areas of your career.
Our hiring process
- Screening call: 45-minute with Marina, our Head of People & Culture to get to know you, discuss your motivation & fit for the role.
- Technical interview: A technical test to prepare at home (2 days maximum) followed by an hour interview with Guillaume, our CFO, and your future manager to deep dive into your technical skills
- Follow-up meetings with our Investors and key Board members to complete the analysis of your technical and personal skills
- Meet the co-founders: 30-minute interview with Luc, our CTO and Kadry, our COO to discuss the company goals, your career aspirations and your fit with our company culture.
- Final and multiple meetings with Moulaye, our CEO along the porcess.
- The AHOM: Our weekly company meeting
- 1-week meet-up once a year in an African city all together
Specific for the role
- CFO weekly basis
- Investors monthly basis
Our Diversity and Inclusion Policy
We're Anka. We truly embrace diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to color, religion, sex, national origin, sexuality, disability, or any other characteristic.
If you want to be truly yourself, work from where you want but also work in an organization with an international impact, Anka is the right place for you!